[ubuntu-art] 8.04 Theme

Thomas L.G thomlie at online.no
Sun Dec 23 19:31:59 GMT 2007

Hi Jayson,

We all have different taste in design and graphics, but this is
definitely something I would NOT like Ubuntu to be. First, it doesn't
remind me of Ubuntu at all, it is grey, more like UbuntuStudio in a way.
Second, it is extremely dull, there are no gradients, everything is
plain and looks like ANY standard Linux theme from the late 90ies
(except for the transparency on inactive window).

I do understand your point about not reinventing the wheel, but I don't
think that's what we're doing. What we're doing is progression -
developing a NEW theme for the next version of Ubuntu. We have to do
something to be able to compete with the new systems as Vista and
Leopard, and hopefully learn from their mistakes. Someone on the list
mentioned the question of fancy and inventive art vs. funtionability. As
Ken formulated it through his question in the "Art Director"-thread:

"If you had to go with one or the other, would strong visual
presentation at the cost of performance & speed be better than a weak
presentation that runs smoothly?

I think we should go for a good looking design for Ubuntu 8.04, even if
it decreases performance! However there MUST be an alternative, where
you can choose to minimize the effects used and increase performance.
Linux and Gnome in general has this advantage built-in, people can do
what they want. But providing an alternative theme for users who are not
too fond of the new stylish stuff, should be done.

- Thomas L.G