[ubuntu-art] Getting real with glossiness and colors

Alberto Núñez nuakosta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:35:51 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the list so I will introduce myself first. My nickname is
Nuak, I posted some images in the wiki and ubuntuforums a month ago
(after seeing in Digg an entry about the new Edgy look), and yesterday
I found by chance a discussion in this mailing list talking about the
splash images of the wiki:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-art@lists.ubuntu.com/msg02641.html

My opinion about this, is that while the current artwork is greatly
done, it does look wrong. I'll try to explain. When you don't have a
REAL glossy-transparent environment, using glossy effects doesn't look
professional. The art team is trying to copy Mac OSX, and Ubuntu is
not Mac OSX. Maybe when GLX and compiz jump into mainstraim and new
technologies are developed, Ubuntu could look like that, but now, all
that bump-glossy-transparent effects are alone in a flat environment.
Hum, It's difficult to explain... I think that the main theme should
be easy to the eyes. I mean simple while sleek. About the colors, I
like the warm browns, but that candy-bar orange looks very agressive
to the eyes.

And, last think I want to comment: Ubuntu logo looks way better in white ;)

I have attached an image with the splash that should look close to my
idea, using tango icons and a supposed GLX environment with real
shadows.

Greetings,
Nuak.