[ubuntu-art] Ubuntu Themes

Frank Schoep frank at ffnn.nl
Fri Sep 8 22:06:45 BST 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 10:02 PM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Yep, my thoughts exactly !
> I have always disliked the Ubuntu looks since Warty's birth. This new
> artwork is the first that looks nice and professional/serious enough
> for me to be happy presenting/demonstrating Ubuntu to people. I can't
> wait to see a reworked version of usplash artwork, once usplash enjoys
> improved resolution and colour palette.

Thanks.

> Same remark for the sound, sound very polished/refined and
> professional, but the log-out sound would need to be made a little
> shorter, as indeed GDM drums come back soon enough to get mixed.
> And my machine isn't particularly fast (4+ year old motherboard,
> 1.45Ghz
> CPU), so I guess the sounds get mixed on virtually every machine out
> there.

I definitely agree about the length of the sound - I think both login
and logout sounds can use some trimming now that I've experienced
them in real life. On my (admittedly) fast machines the logout sound
is cut off after a few seconds because ALSA is stopped early on
shutdown.

I think that even with ALSA running the sound would still be playing
after the power is turned off so it must be shortened to match
shutdown speed improvements. The login sound is also a bit lengthy
and I think we can shorten it a bit. Expect this to be polished
further down the road.

> So in short, just make the log-out sound a little shorter, thanks a
> lot
> for the new artwork, and am looking forward to seeing more of it for
> usplash ! :-)

I wanted to give you a heads up on the usplash - there is a design
going in tonight which is not really final nor polished so please do
not be disturbed by it. For me, it's just a placeholder for the
placeholder so to speak.

Again, thank you and all the others for the nice comments, I really
appreciate it.

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep