[ubuntu-art] [polish] new wallpaper?

Frank Schoep frank at ffnn.nl
Sun Oct 1 19:52:34 BST 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Viper550 wrote:
> Étienne Bersac wrote:
>> This is not the produce phase. This is the polish phase. We should
>> just
>> improve troy_s wallpaper.
>>
> Oh great, why didn't you use SVG? There is no open-source version of
> Xara for Windows, and I usually do all my graphics design on Windows!
> Whoops...

I'm sorry for the confusion guys, let me clear this up.

Étienne, I can certainly understand your point of view where the
Polish phase means trying to improve Troy's current design. However,
because Mark doesn't approve the current artwork we need to work on a
very different design given a new set of directions. So the "Polish"
phase is actually a short version of the whole process we went
through already.

This means that Viper550 is doing the right thing in trying to come
up with new designs conforming to Mark's directions. Because of the
name "Polish" it's easy to get confused about the meaning right now,
so I hope this clears it up.

The second thing about the Xara format: I think it's not a bad thing
that Troy used Xara for his design. There are some tricks in there
which are not easily created in Inkscape so it makes sense to use
Xara. With Xara being open source and the file format being properly
documented the future for that format looks bright.

I can understand the problem of availability on Windows, so it's
obvious we should prefer Inkscape. However, there are a lot of people
on the team using Linux who are able to use Xara open-source. Maybe
you could try the free VMWare Player to install Ubuntu in a virtual
machine on your Windows installation to enjoy the best of both worlds?

Your questions and comments are welcome, I'll be here to take away
any confusion regarding our current directions.

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep