[ubuntu-art] Human or Tangerine for Dapper by default?

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Fri May 26 10:25:42 BST 2006

Who wrote:
> On 5/26/06, Jean Pierre Rupp <jpierre at xeno-genesis.com> wrote:
>> It seems Dapper still comes with the ugly Human icons by default instead
>> of the much more streamlined Tangerine set. Which is the one that will
>> be in Dapper by default at the end?.
>>

> Mark was pretty clear on this here:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2006-May/001392.html
>
> I think it is a shame (well, actually, I only really dislike the
> folders), but I also think that getting someone to develop an entire
> icon theme from scratch, with the sole intention of it being the
> Dapper theme and then abandoning it 4 days before release would be
> unproductive and harsh! The Tangerine guys have been doing a great job
> orangifying Tango, but it was always as an addtional theme and it is
> also intrinsically less original than Human...
>
> Tangerine is available, and is the default icon theme for at least one
> of the new metathemes :)

The good thing about the Tangerine development was that we can now start
sending stuff upstream to GNOME and the developers behind the different
applications that have been fixed up. This can't be done with Human, so
making stuff original  is not always a good thing.
Anyway, it's been a fun ride and I hope to be able to pick up the
discussion on icons after Dapper has been released. But fow, Mark has
made his choice this time and after all, it's his distro.
- Andreas