[ubuntu-art] Re: ubuntu-art Digest, Vol 11, Issue 46

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed May 17 15:49:34 BST 2006

Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> A pic, when rendered from vector with a decent editor, anti-aliases
> differently at different sizes. Every time the thing is scaled you
> loose quality (unless you are just really, really lucky). So, making
> bigger pics is easy but they are only loosely related to other
> versions of the same pic (when it comes to the anti-aliasing) and
> therefor not the best determiner as to the quality of anti-aliasing.
>
> That said, I'll still make bigger versions of my pics...but let's not
> decide based on the bigger versions, but on the smaller versions :-)

But the system scale the pic up (without any anti-aliasing, just makes
it bigger to fill the screen) on boot anyhow. The images sometimes look
GREAT as 600x400 images on a 1024x768 screen because the pixels are so
small that edges look good but when you see it as a boot splash you
think "whoa! yuck!" because the jaggies kick in. I'm suggesting
publishing a thumbnail, linked to a 600x400 image and to a 1024x768
version scaled up *without anti-aliasing* (so making the jaggies visible).

Mark