[ubuntu-art] Re: ubuntu-art Digest, Vol 11, Issue 46

Kenneth Wimer ken at oxygen-icons.org
Wed May 17 11:52:15 BST 2006

On May 17, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Michiel Sikma wrote:

> Op 17-mei-2006, om 12:13 heeft ubuntu-art-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Can I ask that we go through the options and delete (permanently)
>> those
>> which:
>>
>>  (a) use too many colours [16 including black and white is all thats
>> allowed]
>>  (b) are not correctly scaled
>
> Wouldn't it be better if everyone were to post an unscaled version
> of their usplash screens (that is, 640x400, without squishing to
> adhere to the stretching that will later occur in real usage) so
> that we can get a good view of how they would look after they're
> packaged?
>
> I'm sure that the tech-savvy people will be able to squish the
> images to the correct proportions, and it's likely a good idea to
> keep them unsquished in the wikipage so that we can judge more easily.
>
> Of course artists will probably want to see the squished versions
> before they're considered final, just in case there are any
> dithering problems.

The problems I see with this whole thing is this:

A pic, when rendered from vector with a decent editor, anti-aliases
differently at different sizes. Every time the thing is scaled you
loose quality (unless you are just really, really lucky). So, making
bigger pics is easy but they are only loosely related to other
versions of the same pic (when it comes to the anti-aliasing) and
therefor not the best determiner as to the quality of anti-aliasing.

That said, I'll still make bigger versions of my pics...but let's not
decide based on the bigger versions, but on the smaller versions :-)

Bye,
Ken