[ubuntu-art] usplash contributions

Kenneth Wimer ken at oxygen-icons.org
Wed May 17 01:03:03 BST 2006

Hi,

Here is how I do it...the first part probably makes no sense, but I
am used to doing it that way :-)

1) Create a basic 640x480 pic with the correct branding, etc. as vector.
2) scale that down to 640x400
3) add extra highlights, glow and shadows as appropriate
4) save a pic as 24bit png
5) change to indexed color (no dithering), 15 colors if you need to
add a white or red for text purposes...save the file
6) open the colormap dialogue and swap colors where necessary to make
it fit to the code...note that your pic starts looking funky really
quick - save that with another name
7) open the pic without the adjusted colormap from step 5, select
all, copy, and paste into the one from step 6 - gimp adjust the index
stuff automagically
8) touch it up per hand as necessary (didn't go this far yet on the
pics I posted on the wiki)

pngtobogl it, and build, link, etc.

I would suggest staying away from command line tools to edit these
pics because of the small size, aspect ratio/scaling issues and the
limited number of colors.

Bye,
Ken