[ubuntu-art] Re: Updated "Minimalistic", patching usplash, sources

Petr Tomeš ptomes at gmail.com
Sun May 14 10:19:08 BST 2006

2006/5/14, Frank Schoep <frank at ffnn.nl>:
> On Saturday 13 May 2006 23:31, Keith Curtis wrote:
> > When a computer is bootstrapping itself, it has its greatest chance for
> > failure. Pretty art is nice, but status text is important.
>
> On Saturday 13 May 2006 23:30, Paul Sladen wrote:
> > Removing the text is a project for edgy.  For dapper we need the text for
> > debugging and the LiveCD infrastructure relies on the text-getting read.
>
> On Saturday 13 May 2006 23:41, Viper550 wrote:
> > Design Wise, a blank screen with just an Ubuntu Logo and a Progress Bar
> > seems pretty good. But still, why can't we have a black background?
>
> First of all, I'm not suggesting getting rid of all text, just hiding the
> things that don't cause trouble. With "no text" I meant no messages like
> "Starting up..." or "Booting the system...", since I believe they're rather
> unnecessary. Text that *is* going to be shown are the FAIL messages plus
> description.

I fully agree with you. Windows 3.x didn't annoy users with this "OK"
messages ten years ago, nor Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista... Not
only Windows, but Mac OS (X) too. All these systems are keeping users
informed in detail only about fails/arrors, but not about  dozens
things, which works without problem.