[ubuntu-art] Deadline for community art: May 15

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Tue May 9 21:24:36 BST 2006

Étienne Bersac wrote:
> At last ! Thanks for this preview of the development state. I'm happy to
> see new devices and trash icons and other improvement. Human
> definitively does not blend with neither Tango nor Tangerine.

It's not designed to. It uses its own perspective. It's designed to
become a full, rich icon set that has a unique look.

>> being developed by folks who work with Gnome and KDE themes regularly
>> so can test it in place.
>>

> Why don't we use Gnome and KDE themes regularly ? It seems you use Mac
> OS X to build those icon. That's a shame, isn't it ? Does that mean
> Quality Artwork implie Macs OS X and its Art software suites ?

You and others do very good artwork with whatever tools you prefer - so
do the icon designers who are contracted to work on Human. I would like
to expand the contract team on Human to include folks using free
software tools but for now we did not have time to do that.

I would like to document the Human style guideline so that the art team
can contribute more icons to Human that fit well. For the moment,
Tangerine is designed to be the best fallback after Human because its
palette is closest to Human.

>> Unfortunately, I don't believe that Tango has the level of design
>> quality in place that we need for the best theme for Ubuntu. I just
>> don't like the Tango icons. And 22x22 (as well as other decisions) are
>> IMO poor choices.  Tangerine is therefor somewhat limited. Ideally, we
>> want better icons, with a better toolchain process for Human.
>>

> I really do not understand the basis of this point of view. 22x22 icons
> is a choice to make tiny icons for both KDE and Gnome. tiny icons are
> refactored to fit well this tiny size.

In the Ubuntu project we don't try to shoehorn KDE into Gnome or vice
versa. We have Kubuntu, and we have Ubuntu, and we try to let both
communities work on something they consider perfect for themselves.

Tango comes from a team that is trying to make a unified KDE / Gnome
desktop. As a result, they have had to make a number of compromises. I
don't think the result looks good at all. They may succeed, in which
case we can happily adopt that work. But we prefer to lead in a
different direction, with a strong icon set for the Gnome desktop that
has a unique look and feel.

> Can you explains precisely what do you mean by "professionnal" ? I know
> this is a hard excersise, but we lake clareté and openness.

Smooth. Polished. Consistent. Appropriately colourful. Clean. Crisp.

Tango is many of those things but I still just don't think it looks
great, and certainly not on the default Ubuntu colour set. Tangerine is
much nicer (yeah!) but still has many of the underlying faults. I don't
like the outlines. I don't like the palette. And I think it emphasises
tiny icons unnecessarily.

> I'm really excited about getting beautiful artwork for dapper. But i get
> frustrated about this mess icon set.
>
> Wish things goes better before the release.

Well, you could help by showing Daniel where we need vectors, and where
we need 16x16.

Mark