[ubuntu-art] Deadline for community art: May 15

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Tue May 9 19:43:12 BST 2006

We have struggled to get a good workflow in place between the artist
leading Human and the packaging team.  You can see the latest delivery
from the Human folks here:

  http://daniel.holba.ch/ubuntu/iconcall/

You will see many icons there that have not yet successfully landed in
the release.

Tangerine has the advantage of (a) being based on Tango, which starts
with SVG's for everything and has design in place, and (b) being
developed by folks who work with Gnome and KDE themes regularly so can
test it in place.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Tango has the level of design
quality in place that we need for the best theme for Ubuntu. I just
don't like the Tango icons. And 22x22 (as well as other decisions) are
IMO poor choices.  Tangerine is therefor somewhat limited. Ideally, we
want better icons, with a better toolchain process for Human.

We are working to get the toolchain right for Human so that we can drop
new Human icons in on a daily or second-daily basis in the run up to the
release. We are also getting vector icons in key places. What would
really help is if you could cast your eye over the icon mapping page,
and tell Daniel where we NEED vectors (and it doesn't already say
vector) and where we need 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, and 48x48.

Mark