[ubuntu-art] Tang{o,erine} Extras?

Daniele Favara danjele at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:04:05 BST 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 08:52:07AM +0000, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
Hello
> before outlining the plan and asking you for comments, I want to thank
> you all for your work in the Ubuntu Art team. The impact tangerine had
> on people in the community is enormous. It was never as easy to get
> involved as it is now and the rising amount of new icons counts as an
> evidence for that.
>
> However, there's a problem we should try to fix asap: every added icon
> to Tangerine might be something we could like to have Tango as well.
> This is especially problematic for the Xubuntu guys: they use Tango as
> default and might want to have some app icons as well.
>
> Lapo and Andreas suggested to create "tango extras" or whatever we'd
> like to call it, to provide icons, that would work with both themes. We
> could make both packages (tango-icon-theme and tangerine-icon-them)
> depend on that extras package and we'd all be happy again.

> Can anybody see complications with that?

i guess the best solution would be to have a "tango-icon-theme-apps"
package that installs in /usr/share/icons/Tango.

We are sure they'll not conflict as tango-icon-theme will never include
any apps icon if not listed on the legacy xml file (from
icon-naming-utils).

Tangerine already:

Inherits=Tango

so it'll find those apps icons anyway (if i'm not wrong), the same for
edubuntu icons theme.

Maybe it would be better even to have Tangerine with the same icon set
as Tango, and move the apps icons on a different source pkge.

I really think everybody could be happy in this way ...

- artists  will have a showcase of apps icons
- developers could decide to include the app icon within the source pkge
  (they see the icon, they like it, they contact lapo or andreas)
- pkger will not have to split the Tangerine source
- xubuntu, edubuntu (maybe), tangerine and tango can share those icons

> How would you call such a package?

with the same name as the one used by upstreamer :P

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Have a nice day,

ciao

df