[ubuntu-art] Re: Default themes

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed May 3 23:41:24 BST 2006

2006/5/3, bvc <bvcmdk at yahoo.com>:

>  2006/5/2, bvc <bvcmdk at yahoo.com> wrote:
>         To address your list....
>         1) I think any pixmap themes should come from the other 3
> community themes.
>
> Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
>     Please plese, no pixmap themes. They may look shiny, but I believe
> them to be one of the core things that make people say that Gnome is
> unresponsive. Dapper is feeling snappy right now, let's keep it that way :-)

> Gnome is unresponsive because of cairo. The destruction took place with
> its premature, buggy inclusion in gnome2.10. It has improved but not near
> enough. If dapper feels snappy it's because you are not using ubunutulooks
> either.

I use only ubuntulooks based themes and they are perfectly snappy.

You have an old sys. Most, or a lot, do not and if you take a look at the
> most downloaded themes, you'll find they're mostly pixmap. People like
> eyecandy. No, I don't have a problem with pixmap themes not being included.
> I don't use them anymore anyway because of cairo's slow rendering and I'm
> not old. I'm not new but....athlon xp 1900, 512mb ram, nvidia gf mx440 64mb
> agp. Sad that something like this can't use pixmap themes. Very sad indeed.
>
> Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
>     That is not an excuse. Windows without buttons show up from time to
> time, and it just feels unpolished and Dapper is all about polish.
>
> I have never seen a window without a button. You must either use bad third
> party apps or a strange/custon button layout.

Nautilus. I encountered one, a while back - some dialog... Can't reproduce
right now...

> Point is, it can not be hacked, can it? I don't know how, do you? I'd bet
> there's a way but...where's devel? It IS NOT an inconsistency in the theme,
> it is an inconsistency is bad/lazy coded, minority apps that are not true
> gtk apps.

I really don't know if there is a work around. However Firefox and OOo are
perhaps the most high profile of the stock Ubuntu desktop. - But you get
street-cred for saying they are "minority apps" ;-P

> Hey, this isn't xubuntu, or the proposed fubuntu, or any other liteweight,
> whatever. It's gnome. Metacity is fine. Kill nautilus if you have speed
> issues. That's a fact! People have long dissed metacity without knowing what
> they are talking about. Metacity isn't the problem. I'm not saying it can't
> be better or better shouldn't be desired. I hate theming it, and upon its
> creation, by choice, it has many limitations, but it's a very small portion
> of peoples speed issues.

Optimization of the desktop responsiveness can not come in one fell swoop.
It is by fine tuning every possibly little knob we can find. Perhaps im more
of a freak on this because of my outdated box. I don't wan't to use Xubuntu
however - I use Gnome and that's not likely to change.

Cheers,
Mikkel