[ubuntu-art] Dapper Splashes

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:13:37 GMT 2006

On 3/9/06, Étienne Bersac <bersace03 at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=36223
>
> > I am considering making a BG and bootscreen with similar elements, so
> > comments would be much appreciated
>
> As I reported for breezy, one of the main goal of Ubuntu is
> internationalisation. This splash obviously use a lot of english
> terms. Please either use only ubuntu or translatable text. A few

I wanted to make a splash that was clearly for a development version -
so I needed some English - but the wording could be anything else - is
there a list of 'translatable phrases' sopmewhere?

> french people know what "dapper drake" means.

I thought Dapper Drake was the international code name for Ubuntu
6.04, and thus wouldn't need translating? sorry if I'm wrong about
this.

> I wish designers will consider i18n in their artwork.

You're right...this is my first submission, and I had to google i18n
to be sure of what it was - I hadn't really considered it would apply
to BGs and Splashes!
Is there any way, short of making many different splashes, of having
translated text?

> For the artwork itself, here are somes comments to improve it :
>   * from the three splash, i prefer the first.
>   * Logo and texts should be plain. Or more distinct from the bg
> picture.
>   * Is Yellow part of the "Human" palette ?

Yes - it is 'Orange Highlight'

> In fact, the only thing i like is the faded picture in background. :)
>
> Thanks.

Who