[ubuntu-art] New icons

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Thu Mar 2 09:49:42 GMT 2006

Pascal Klein wrote:
> Sorry if I was somewhat blunt. I feel that the process isn't moving
> along as fast as I would like it to and I'm trying to stick a blame to
> something.
Stick it on your own doorstep, then.

The art team needs leadership and organisation. This is our fourth
release,  so there has been plenty of time for that organisation to
emerge organically. In Dunedin, you and I discussed this, and you
promised to step up and move things forward.

"Processes" don't move forward. People make them move forward. It takes
effort to create an organised environment for community work to happen.
Rather than looking for a place to put blame because things have not
happened exactly the way you want it to, you might consider actually
*making them happen*.

I'm being blunt. Very. I really want a strong community art team but I
absolutely know it will not happen unless someone steps up to lead and
organise that team. Until that point, we will have lots of missed
opportunities. The door is open for anybody with savvy, energy, and
leadership to step through.
>  I think in more correct terms, I meant to say I would have
> liked a call for this sort of a job and it pushed (ie. "Hey Dapper
> really needs an icon set"). Andy Fitzsimon's was definitely on the
> right track, personally.

That call went out two releases ago. We've provided funding to Andy,
over the course of a long time, and Andy has made good progress.
However, we thought it worth trying a different angle, and I'm pleased
with the results. There is room for Etiquette in Ubuntu as well, and
perhaps one day it can become the default.

Andy cant work alone. If that's to be a community effort, again, it will
take leadership to gather a team around him.

> The folder icons for NFS, SMB, SSH and icons of that nature, the
> rounded rectangular background for the text seems too similar in colour
> to the folder which make it hard to distinguish from the rest of the
> icon, especially the folder part. :)

OK, good feedback that.

> Yes, those theme packages are definitely on the checklist. I am hoping
> to try to allocate a theme to a group of people, so for example 2 or 3
> people could work on one theme while another group works on another
> theme. How does this sound?

Sounds excellent.

It would be great if there was a single package that could be installed
which had 5 community-contributed theme candidates. We can then review
them, provide feedback, and ultimately select a very few of the best
ones, if they are high quality and complete, for inclusion in the
distribution release.

Mark