[ubuntu-art] New Dapper icon set

Ville Sokk villes at elvag.edu.ee
Wed Mar 1 15:41:04 GMT 2006

> I just have to my own "OMFG that's some seriously cool icons!" to this
> debate :-D
>
> While I to some part agree with klepas that this kind of development
> (sorta like the Novell XGL thing) is a bit frustrating - it also shows
> (again) how effective this approach is.
>
> I think it is really great work, and we should appreciate that. Now we
> have something concrete to work from - a style to adhere to.
>
> Cheers
> Mikkel
>
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 21:49 +1100, Pascal Klein wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:20:49 +0100
>> Julian Turner <julian.turner at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just saw the preview of the new Dapper icon set Mark posted at
>> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperIcons .
>> > I have a few questions regarding these icons:
>> >
>> > Who made this set? I'm just curious.
>> > What license will it be published under?
>> > How can I contribute? My own Still Life is quite similar in style, and
>> > some of my icons might only need slight colour adjustments to make a
>> > perfect addition (some others might suck, though). Please take a look
>> at
>> > http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/1111 and/or
>> > http://www.deviantart.com/view/20591448/ .
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Julian
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> Personally, I think Tango or Etiquette would be much more suitable.
>> Making branding icon sets is a lot of work, which is just going to be
>> seen in that one distribution. Using a set such as Tango, or sort of a
>> 'sister set' such as Etiquette (can I call it that Andy? :) ).
>>
>> I've stressed already to several people I keep in contact with that I
>> find it sad that we as the art team cannot decide what goes into
>> mainstream, in a way such as every other team does. I just hope that
>> these icons will use the freedesktop.org naming specification.
>>
>> Although the icon set thus far obviously is great work, pity it had to
>> be a contracted artist rather than someone from the community.
>>

>> Just some thoughts. :)
>>
>> klepas
>>

>> --
>> Pascal Klein
>> http://wombat.nuxified.com
>>
>> Ubuntu Art team	http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtTeam
>> Linux Australia		http://www.linux.org.au

The only hired person should be someone who makes the art team work!

The icons look great, but you just can't imagine how sad it makes me that
it was made by some hired designer. This makes me feel that Ubuntu is
leaving the thinking of Linux and going towards Windows like Linspire and
Xandros who I really despise. Ubuntu is allready Linux not GNU/Linux and
it's free of charge not freedom. I think Debian is more my style?