[ubuntu-art] PONDER: Development

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 00:08:53 BST 2006

It should be noted that Mark wants to proceed along
the lines of the GDM logon splash in terms of the
glossy look.

This means that during the proposal phase, we should
aim to keep focused development using the gloss look.

To this end, I provided a sample textural reference page,
which Frank has already noted.  It is purely to start
the braindump of ideas, namely in three primary areas:

1) Types of gloss -- diffuse or more sharp specular,
   although wide specular.  A good example of this
   is the sheen on the shield compared to say, the sheen
   on the vinyl.

2) Textural possibilities for wallpapers.  We run into
   issues with the wallpaper and a glossy look when
   you attempt to apply it to a large image.  This means
   that the traditional "pillbox" gloss is probably out
   for the wallpaper.  We should be considering how to
   integrate the gloss feel into a larger image.  There
   are a few patterns on the texture page to reference
   this sort of approach.

3) Colour spread.  The magical wallpaper of Breezy was quite
   good, and I would prefer it to the rather sweepy feel
   of the current Dapper wallpaper.  That said, perhaps we
   can work towards a very distinctive "at a glance" Ubuntu
   look based on something else.  There are a few textures
   there that might trigger something for further discussion.

Again, the whole point of this phase is to brainstorm on this
list regarding directions.  Bear in mind that we already have
the glossy (albeit type unknown) facet locked, as well as our
Ubuntu default palette (that is more or less wound into the
Human icon set as well.)

Good luck.