[ubuntu-art] Quick Update

Kenneth Wimer ken at oxygen-icons.org
Sun Jun 25 19:54:03 BST 2006

Hi,

On Jun 25, 2006, at 7:21 PM, Michiel Sikma wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2006, at 4:31 PM, Troy James Sobotka wrote:
>

>> This will require some new language.
>>
>> Basically, Human icons are in and staying -- as per sabdfl.
>> This will be a component of the 'Human Look', which is what
>> we are sticking with (albeit trying to finish it, polish it,
>> and finish the set.)
>>

> I don't understand why it is so pertinently important to keep Human
> in. In all objectivity, it's simply a suboptimal icon set when
> compared to Tango. I also don't see why any of the arguments that I
> have given have to be ignored. Like I stated, Human doesn't seem to
> follow any proper guidelines at all. If it does, then I would like
> to read their rationale for arbitrarily designing some icons from
> different angles.

I see it as a good decision for branding the gnome desktop for an
Ubuntu product. I do not think you are being ignored but rather that
your opinion differs from others, especially those who make the
decisions for artwork inclusion in the aforementioned product. Note
as well that in artwork, guidelines are great, but for every rule
there is an exception.

Seeing as the decision has already been made I suggest you produce a
viable alternative by working in a group with other like-minded
individuals - if the result is seen as better in everyones eyes than
what exists now we can perhaps change this decision in future releases.

> I've got the greatest respect for Mark, but I do not see his
> rationale.

I see this as a decision to include the most complete, appealing
theme which is also branded for the distri. Indeed, no matter what
the rationale the decision is very clear and simple to fulfill. What
happens in the future is a completely different subject.

Bye,
Kenneth