[ubuntu-art] Updated Cursor

Chuck Huber chuck at lagunadata.com
Mon Jun 19 23:25:43 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 09:41 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:
> > The current icons are functional and much prettier than the old
> > crooked
> > and aliased MS cursors but there certainly have been improvements
> > since
> > these were created as well.
> >
> > --
> > Chuck Huber <chuck at lagunadata.com>
>
> Please be more specific. So there have been improvements to the
> design of the cursor. I personally haven't noticed any. Which
> improvements do you mean? Surely the cursors deserve attention, but
> they absolutely shouldn't be the victim of overly active designers
> who don't really know how to improve their usability but still wish
> to make _some_ changes to them for the sake of change.

That's true and can be said of most art but I think actual use of a
modern cursor theme will be enough to convince most people that
improvements have been made.  Hands are shaped nicer, pointers are
better aliased, shadows more realistic, sizes are more appropriate...

The link below depicts XP cursors to the left, while the equivalent
Polar, Neutral and Ubuntu cursors are on the right, in that order.

http://lagunadata.com/staging/buntu_art/cursor_comp.png

--
Chuck Huber <chuck at lagunadata.com>