[ubuntu-art] RFC: Ubuntu 6.06 Improvement Review

Niel Drummond niel at cyanescent.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 23:01:57 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 22:51 +0200, Frank Schoep wrote:
> On the current splash screen the Ubuntu logo is shown in a tangerine color
> which doesn't match any of the official colors. That is bad. Good thing is
> that only one or two colors are used to prevent aliasing because of the 13
> color limit.
>
> Branding the logo using all colors won't succeed with usplash, especially not
> considering the proposed "delayed fade" concept which needs a gradual
> gradient of colors from back- to foreground.
>
> The splash you talk about with all the colors in it was horrible by any
> standards (sorry if I just offended someone). There was more wrong with it
> than the "correct" branding could make up for.
>
> "Minimalistic", which I created in an attempt to demo a textless boot, takes
> all points I wrote down in consideration, even including the color gradient
> palette for fading text items. I fail to see where it is inconsistent with my
> review document.

I have not seen the minimalistic nor the colourful usplash versions, but
I think having # colours of a 16 colour palette reserved for fading
seems a little expensive. Afterall, at some point we will want to
include a Grub splash screen (at least I will), which similarly has a 16
colour palette limit.. without any animation. We would also want this
screen to "fit" with the usplash screen, which follows directly after.
Can we not use blinking instead of fading?

regards

- Niel Drummond