[ubuntu-art] RFC: Ubuntu 6.06 Improvement Review

Frank Schoep frank at ffnn.nl
Fri Jun 9 21:51:20 BST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 22:06, Viper550 wrote:
> Some of the ideas are good and all, but you've overlooked one thing
> about the bootup:
>
> Originally, when you made that minimalistic splash, you didn't like the
> new usplash artwork that had all the colors in it! But, now you WANT
> something like that? Oh, why don't you make up your mind!

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I assume the relevant portion
of the document is the "Branding" subchapter on page 5. I'll try to
elaborate.

On the current splash screen the Ubuntu logo is shown in a tangerine color
which doesn't match any of the official colors. That is bad. Good thing is
that only one or two colors are used to prevent aliasing because of the 13
color limit.

Branding the logo using all colors won't succeed with usplash, especially not
considering the proposed "delayed fade" concept which needs a gradual
gradient of colors from back- to foreground.

The splash you talk about with all the colors in it was horrible by any
standards (sorry if I just offended someone). There was more wrong with it
than the "correct" branding could make up for.

"Minimalistic", which I created in an attempt to demo a textless boot, takes
all points I wrote down in consideration, even including the color gradient
palette for fading text items. I fail to see where it is inconsistent with my
review document.

The fact that Minimalistic kind of matches up with the document should be no
surprise as both convey my vision equally. I hope this clears up the issue,
if not I'd be happy to discuss this more.

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep