[ubuntu-art] That's a wrap everyone!

Michiel Sikma omega at avalanchestudios.net
Thu Jun 1 19:39:17 BST 2006

Julian Oliver wrote:
> ..on Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 06:30:20PM +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:
>
>>Op 1-jun-2006, om 18:27 heeft Tom Moitie het volgende geschreven:
>>

>>>Julian isn't saying that the users should be choosing the direction
>>>that
>>>the Ubuntu artwork should go, but to gain critique from them, so that
>>>you, as the designers, can make better choices. Listening to people
>>>who
>>>don't know what they're doing doesn't mean you have to follow what
>>>they
>>>want. You guys are, of course, the graphical designers.
>>
>>That's right. Like I said, I do think that it's a very good idea to
>>work with the community so that we may get feedback from them, but I
>>don't think that it's right to put much weight on such opinions.
>>Julian's mail made kind of made it seem so, but I guess he too thinks
>>that community votes don't make up a good final decision.
>

> i don't necessarily think community wide votes should direct which art
> is shipped with Ubuntu. such voting schemes are riddled with all sorts
> of problems, the first being there are always some that are inclined to
> vote and many that aren't.
>
> i do however think a steady stream of opinion on the state of the Ubuntu artwork
> would be extremely useful for designers - wherever it comes from.
> having a wishlist and or opinions forum focussed on artwork alone
> (not issues relating to Ubuntu more generally) would also (importantly)
> give users the confidence of a central context for being heard - with no
> promise of implementation. as a bonus, this can only strengthen user good-will.
>
> currently such suggestions/opinions/criticisms are offered as bugs or randomly
> dispersed throughout threads in blogs and user forums.
>
> naturally there would be alot of feedback that isn't useful. i'm sure however
> there'd be some insights that would be very difficult to reach from the
> perspective of a designer.
>
> how many hard-of-seeing people to we have telling us how brilliant our
> high-visibility theme is for instance?
>
> julian

I guess we're on the same page, then. I think I misunderstood your first
post to the mailing list, actually. Sorry about that.

You're actually right that there's little feedback from the community.
I've been thinking of starting a blog about Ubuntu artwork development
which would then hopefully be an easy reference point as to what's going
on for the community. I should work on that. Might be a nice idea.

Michiel