[ubuntu-art] Human emblem icons proposal

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 14:09:14 GMT 2006

> 1) Ubuntu needs to establish a mechanism to bind the design with the
> locales.
> 2) Ubuntu needs a method to establish working memes for icons, etc., for
> each locale.
> 3) Locales should be expanded to include particular subsets regarding
> physically challenged individuals, as each general class of challenge
> requires specific and particular needs.

"Zigactly!" as Asterix would say.
:)

Point 3 was something I never even thought of. Good call. That's almost a
locale within a locale because anyone can be physically challenged.

Sounds like a tree is needed. Each branch is a locale. On a branch you have
three leaves: Normal, Blind, Deaf. (Perhaps more, I am no expert)
Put this on a wiki and perhaps designers can start to fill it in with designs,
each working (and debating) on their own well-known locale.

Trying to control *all* of those icons (or emblems) with a single
top-down "theme" or design-template may prove too hard to do.
To do that, each locale branch could sub-branch into n branches, each given a
theme name like 'tango', 'human', whatever.
(However, as TJS said, good design should work from the audience backwards.)

Perhaps a more automated system should be conjured-up. Maybe all the icons are
done in grayscale PNG and the 'bling' and colour can be added by an
imagemagick script, thus making a theme-change automagic.

Anyway, back to lurking. Nice quotes TJS.
/d