[ubuntu-art] Pretty System Consoles

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 29 13:52:32 BST 2006

Hi all,

I tried SUSE the other day and noticed that they have some rather nice
themeing going on on their system consoles (I.E the things you access
using CTRL+ALT+F?). They have an image at the top and use higher
resolutions for the text - I'd like to do similar on Ubuntu.

I don't know what they use (low google foo today, it seems), but I
divined that Gentoo do similar with 'gensplash' (or fbsplash, to be
precise) (http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/, SUSE used
to use 'botsplash' (www.bootsplash.org) and may now use gfxboot.
Fedora, iirc, don't have the funky console themes.

My question is, can the new usplash do it too? Can we do it with
Ubuntu - beacause it looks really cool and makes the console look a
lot more user friendly - it has a more "hey, look at this thing I'm
obvioulsy supposed to use" feeling instead of "whoops, this looks
complex and weird, better leave well alone" - not the attitude we
want, I think. It definitely adds that oh-so illusive 'polished' feel.

PingunZ, I see from an Ubuntu Forums thread you have experience in the
gfxboot world: you know whether it themes the consoles?

Should this go to ubuntu-devel too?

Who