[ubuntu-art] Some guidelines for consideration

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Fri Aug 25 10:03:02 BST 2006

Op 25-aug-2006, om 0:20 heeft Chuck Huber het volgende geschreven:

>> by what I > think is a very nice new set called "Echo" >  http://
>> fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/EchoDevelopment > They're really
>> great icons - I think they are too glossy in places, but
>> definitely a good update to Bluecurve. I think the fact that they
>> are more realistic than Human) makes them feel more modern. also,
>> more of the icons are drawn on an angle, not just 'flat' on the
>> desk, which I think contributes to the feeling that that is a
>> modern theme for good, shiny computers!

Echo is a very nice icon set indeed. It also seems to be completely
in SVG. Kudos to the Fedora design team for that! I don't really like
the folder icon and the fact that the icons face left, though, which
seems kind of awkward to me, as it is more natural for anything to
face right.

> Really?  I find echo a bit more cartoonish than Human.  Take the
> disk drive icons, or CD or printer icons for example.  That's not
> to say that Human can't be improved by getting more realistic.  I
> think it can, but the examples below are tough to beat.
> <gnome-dev-media-sm.png>
> <gnome-dev-memory.png>
> <gnome-dev-pcmcia.png>

Those are pretty okay icons in the Human theme set, but they still
show some design decisions which I fundamentally disagree with. Such
as the memory icon, which is heavily influenced by the fact it
doesn't have a clear outline but _does_ have a heavy shadow
underneath. Can you tell exactly where the memory stick's green ends
and the grey of the shadow begins? It's not possible without
inspecting the image at a zoomed-in size. This shadow messes up the
contrast between the edge of the icon and the underlying background.
A simple design feat that could easily have been avoided with some
proper thinking beforehand.

Echo avoids this entirely by, like Tango, giving clear outlines (and
clear inlines as well), and using a less overwhelming shadow that
clearly discerns itself from the rest of the icon. Interestingly,
Echo also doesn't use the typical generated shadows, which is also a
big plus in my book.

Michiel