[ubuntu-art] Gtk / Metacity changes

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Aug 23 17:05:24 BST 2006

After the correspondence between Michiel and I on the list, Frank mailed
me to point out this page which gives a fuller picture of the discussion
that has happened so far.

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/PolishHumanGTKTheme/Incoming

Overall I'm very impressed with the commentary there. I don't agree with
ANYBODY on everything, but that's to be expected :-). I do, however
agree with many of the specific points there.

Michiel, you are absolutely right about the aliasing if window corners,
and if we are able to achieve that for Edgy I would be thrilled. I also
agree that we need proper borders all around the window. +1 on those!

However, I don't like the palette direction you are going in, it strikes
me as heavyweight and gaudy. That's true for the window frame as well as
the widgets.

On the widgets, some of the changes are interesting. I think I prefer
your buttons, they look more enticing and "clicktastic". I definitely do
not like the progressbar, it lacks a sense of measured progress, which
the dividers (thin vertical lines on the horizontal progress bar) give you.

We deliberately made the grippies orange-on-mouseover, becase we do not
want the orange to be too ever-present on the screen. Orange is a
highlight colour, it should indicate something where there is activity
or action. So we have to use it very, very carefully. So I don't like
the always-orange press-points on the optionmenu, for example, or the
combo box or scrollbars.

Otherwise, interesting work!

Mark