[ubuntu-art] trash icon looks like a battery

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Apr 26 11:17:26 BST 2006

Sven Jaborek wrote:
>> From a usability point of view, the icon is not small - in fact its dimensions
>> are infinite: because it is placed in a corner of the screen, you can throw
>> your mouse pointer all the way to the bottom right and you'd always hit the
>> icon. In fact, this is the way I use the wastebasket mostly since I often
>> have my right hand on the mouse which makes the keyboard "Del" button a
>> second choice.
>>
> Wow, i never noticed that. For some reason it wasnt located there on my
> desktop, but i checked with a fresh account and you are right. Using it
> that way is more comfortable.

This was a deliberate design decision. We spent a lot of time figuring
out how to use the corners of the screen in the most effective way,
because they have this "just throw your mouse there" property.

The toughest decision was the latest one, where to put the "sign off"
button. We decided to move the calendar in from the top right corner and
put the button up there. Even though, if you use the calendar
integration of Evolution, you will be clicking on the date/time more
often than the signoff button, we felt that the calendar could move in
and it would work better than having the signoff button to the left of
the calendar. This is because the calendar is quite large and easy to
"hit" with your mouse.

>> Although it isn't the best solution available, Ubuntu (rather GNOME) isn't
>> lagging behind in this area, since most other desktop OSes tend to only have
>> two states as well. The number of files is just a unit of measurement for
>> your information.
>>
> "not lagging behind", is not exactly what i aspire.

I agree that having better wastebasket indicators would be nice. Let me
ask you a question: what is "full"? Different people have different
feelings. Does that mean it has a lot of files? Or a few large files?
What's large? I have 100gb disk, you have 40gb disk.... large is relative.

>> But to come back on the original problem, the shape of the icon...
>>
> Isnt the darker bottom of the cylinder the problem. Because of the dark
> ring it looks like something nearly empty.
> And do you know duracell-batteries? They have this darker ring too, but
> on the upper side.

The icon is due to become more of a wastebasket, if it isn't already fixed.

Mark