[ubuntu-art] Wireless signal icons

Joseph Hill joseph.hill at yale.edu
Sun Apr 16 03:18:46 BST 2006

I just subscribed to this list so I don't know what has been discussed,
so if this has already been discussed and resolved, just tell me and
I'll shut up (or point me to where it's been discussed so I can read
up).  I'm a huge fan of the new default theme and icon set, which
surprises me because I'm usually a minimalist.  I like that it isn't
copying anything.

The only change I don't like is the wireless signal meter on the Network
Monitor applet.  I have two wireless cards and use only one toolbar, so
panel real estate is very valuable.

I think there are two problems with the current signal strength meter:
it's horizontal and takes up 3 to 5 times as much space as it should,
and it's not intuitive for me, so it took me a while to figure out
exactly what the little orange thing moving around meant.  I think the
old way was much more intuitive and economical: a vertical bar that
looks empty when there's no signal and full when there is, rather than
an orange thing that moves back and forth.

Joe

--
Joseph Hill
Department of Anthropology