[ubuntu-art] can glassy and caramel be combined? [was: Inconsistence of gradients and artwork colors]

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Mon Apr 3 22:37:45 BST 2006

In a matter of taste, I understand the sabdfl has the final word...
However, maybe I can make him see the light:

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> I think the orange looks great on many widgets. In general, widgets are
> not on-screen all the time. You see them when something is happening or
> when you need to make a decision about something. And as a result, they
> can be quite bold without tiring the eyes.
ON THE PROGRESSBAR:
A progress-bar is an inherently informing thing, to which the user can
only respond passively. It's *not* asking for a decision. That doesn't
mean it can't be glassy, but it should be subtle IMO. Is this possible
to combine? (some programs make the window draw attention via
metacity/windowlist when the progressbar is done. Should be enough)

ON THE FOLDER-ICONS:
It's not that the folder icons are too bright per se, but they're FAR
brighter than the file-icons. My files are 1st class citizens :) It just
feels like a very incomplete theme IMO - if the color would be more
caramel-ish, like "somefile.savedSearch", it would mix together I think.

Would it be possible to give it the shiny feeling with subtler color?
does anyone know?

> We decided not to put orange on the scrollbars, because those are "long
> term widgets", they are often permanently on the screen. We put orange
> in the mouseover effect because (a) that's short-term and (b) that's
> when you are USING the widget and want to make decisions about it, so it
> fits nicely into the framework I described above, of using bold colors
> when something is in active use.
Yes, *that* is very cool. But then, indeed, you are using *that*
specific widget.
So, by analogy:
- make the checkbox scream when I click/hover it.
- Make the folder jubilate when I hover/select it.
- Make the pulldown menu's smile when I hover them - ow, wait, they
already do! And only then, nice! :)

Pimp my desktop! But do it subtle, or call it... *Edubuntu* :)

Your framework-idea is nice, but why are the buttons less important than
a checkbox if they're more likely to be used? It's coloring is not about
decision-taking, the checkbox/radiobutton-coloring is an emphasis on
it's status - that's ok (because it's no sharp color).

Thanks for your kind attention,
Eric