[ubuntu-art] Inconsistence of gradients and artwork colors

Daniel Borgmann daniel.borgmann at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 19:13:24 BST 2006

On 4/3/06, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at canonical.com> wrote:
>  While we are here I'm reminded of one additional thing I'd like to see
> mocked up. On the scrollbars, the white tips at each end might look even
> better if they had slightly rounded corners like the slider endpoints. Does
> that make sense? The reason this was requested was if the scrollbar is all
> the way up it looks a little as though the "well" is white and the scrollbar
> is 1 millimeter from the top - the end point looks like a space rather than
> an end point. It was suggested to me that rounding the corners of the
> scrollbar end point would make it clear that its a sort of cap on the
> scrollbar, not empty space. Richard, could you mock that up too? Just
> following the end points of the slider is probably best.

The problem is, that two rounded widgets glued together look very
ugly. We avoid this everywhere else in the theme, like the comboboxes
or treeview headers. So if we do rounded scrollbar sliders, I think we
should do something different with the steppers. OS X and Vista only
draw the arrows and no buttons for the steppers, which avoids the
problem. It doesn't look great to me, but it's better than rounded
buttons IMO. An alternative might be to just use a very small radius
for the corners, which would look similar to Luna XP.

Daniel