[ubuntu-art] Art Meeting Summary

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 01:30:32 CDT 2005

Well folks, our first unofficial art meeting has come and gone.
Andrew, Nicholas and myself did most of the talking, with Jeff Waugh
standing by for important issues. :o)

We're still kind of waiting on the server for two purposes:

1. Public art website for artists to submit their work. Potentially
based on the art.gnome.org website.

2. Some sort of version control system for official artwork. Jeff
mentioned "baz", which I think refers to "bazzar", which I'm not
really familiar with yet.

Second priority is documentation on the wiki. In anticipation of lots
of submissions on the art website, we want to create some basic
guidelines that artwork must conform with to be included in an
official release. Examples might include adhering to the Ubuntu color
pallete and not allowing artwork portraying something violent, sexual
or just disgusting. (Many will probably just be common sense, but
documented "for the record"). The primary goal of this guide will be
not only to explain why something is or isn't approved, but also to
suggest ways one might modify their artwork to make it something that
*could* be used in Ubuntu, as well as alternate places they might
submit their artwork where it may be more appropriate.

(hopefully that makes sense, I'm getting very sleepy) :o)

Other documentation we'd like to get online would be detailed
"how-to's" for various tasks that may or may not require a lot of
artistic talent. Converting/resizing the SVG icons into PNG format
would be one (major) example.

That was the majority of our hour and a half meeting. If you want to
read the transcript, it can be found here:

http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-artwork-current.html

which I think will be moved here by tomorrow:

http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-artwork-2005-07-29.html

As always, if you want to help out with any of this early stuff, let
me know personally or via the list. Andrew and I also randomly hang
out in our IRC channel if you have questions that need an immediate
answer. (#ubuntu-artwork on irc.freenode.net)

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu