Fwd: rejection of pocketsphinx

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Sep 15 17:41:27 BST 2009

On Tue Sep 15 17:17:42 +0100 2009 David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> Siegfried-A. Gevatter wrote:
> > I'm rejecting pocketsphinx as it does contain a copy of the LGPL license,
> > please request upstream add it so that they comply with the license.
> >
> I don't understand this.  Did he mean to say that it does *not* contain
> a copy of the LGPL?

Yes, I did, sorry.

> Very confused. Do I have to make a new upstream release just to include
> (or not include) a copy of the LGPL?
>
> PocketSphinx is (new) BSD licensed.  The GStreamer plugin that comes
> with it is LGPL.  If that makes the whole thing LGPL I don't mind.  Can
> you just take the fact that thte LGPL conditions are included in a
> header file as indication of my intent to include the LGPL text with the
> package?

The LGPL version 2, section 1 states:

    1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Library's
    complete source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that
    you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an
    appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact
    all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any
    warranty; and distribute a copy of this License along with the
    Library.

"and distribute a copy of this License along with the library," so in
order to distribute something under the LPGL you have to distribute a
copy of the LGPL along with it.

Thanks,

James