soma rejected

Andrew Hunter rexbron at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:52:37 GMT 2007

On February 19, 2007 07:15:03 Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just rejected your soma upload.  Soma is licenced under the
> GPL, but you are linking with OpenSSL.  The OpenSSL licence and the
> GPL are not compatible, so please upload a new package without the SSL
> support enabled.
>
> In addition, I would recommend not shipping the .la files as they are
> not needed in most cases (and in those cases, pkg-config is a better
> tool anyway).

I have been in contat with upstream and they have made an exception for
linking against SSL. It is listed in the headers of each source file (for
soma daemon and libsoma). For convenience, I will add it here:

/* Soma - Copyright (C) 2003-7 bakunin - Andrea Marchesini
 *                                       <bakunin at autistici.org>
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
 * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
 * 02110-1301, USA.
 *
 * This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption that
 * compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed.
 */

My discussions with Andrea had told me that SSL is integral to this project.

So, in light of the above, is this still grounds for rejection from universe?

Thanks,

Andrew

Please advise if the above exception