Light reading : Technical terms - translate or not translate?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Aug 3 21:56:25 BST 2008

Borrowing words from other language is an option and it can be well
tolerated it it is an exception done occasionally, may be with the idea
that it can be very will replaced with a native Arabic word when a
suitable one is present. Otherwise, with the massive number of new terms
appearing every year, way may compromise the integrity of our language
rendering it a heterogeneous collection of badly coined words with no
connections to each other.

Also, the common claim that English terms are "more obvious" than Arabic
counterparts that we should simply borrow the English one is a very
false claim based in the assumptions that every one knows the English
term (and that every one knows it really understands it linguistically
wise), which is very untrue. I'll give you a simple real example: I've
been seeing the word proxy transliterated into Arabic for years, and I
never happen to know what does it mean, until I encountered it in the
translation, then with some research I realized that it originates from
the legal term of وكيل or وسيط hence we now translate it as وسيط, now it
is a really obvious term that I bet every one can guess its technical
meaning with much little effort.

Regards,
 Khaled