[Ubuntu-phone][File system][Permissions]

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Tue Oct 15 13:26:29 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 09:01 AM, Roman Shchekin wrote:
> Good day to everyone who reads this message!
>
> I am a Core App Developer (Shorts team) and author of YaD (unofficial Yandex.Disk
> cloud storage client). My app consists of qml part and C++ plugin. When I ported
> my app
> from MeeGo to Ubuntu Phone (UP), I've met two big problems, here them are:
>
> 1. My app can't discover device's file system. Only core app file manager have such
> permission. But I can't imagine cloud storage client without ability to download
> files.
> There are no standard "File open dialog", so I can't upload file from device to
> storage too.

That's correct and it is something that needs to be implemented. AIUI, this will
be implemented similar to the gallery-app-- a file picking app will be an out of
process content provider and then apps can use it to select files via the
content-hub API.

> I think that it's to strong limitation. No one can create 3rd party file manager
> then, am I right?

For now, that is correct, but that isn't the long term plan.

> Linux - world of alternatives, everyone can choose all what he wants!
> You should introduce special permission, like "file_system" and so on. User can
> agree or disagree
> to use app with such permissions!

This isn't how our trust model works-- users are not prompted on install to
agree to some set of permissions. Instead, permission to access sensitive data
by AppStore apps is typically granted or denied at the time of access so users
have a context for the access being requested. In this particular case, that
access decision will be in the form of the file content provider accessed via
the content-hub API.