Make Ubuntu desktop a better platform for App Developers

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 18:20:57 UTC 2013

--
Sent from my mobile device

On Apr 9, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Andrew King <aking1012.com at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Packaging is not horribly complicated and even less so if you use
> one of several "normal" build systems.

That's true. But it is really complicated for new devs coming from,
say, Windows.  I'm speaking from the perspective of an experienced
Windows developer who's fairly recently transitioned into Ubuntu only
development.

The toolchain itself isn't particulary hard. But the documentation
simply made my eyes glaze over. In the end, my first app was submitted
binary only using Ubuntu's "upload and we'll create the package for
you' service. Much easier and accessible than doing it all myself.

Sure, once I learned the packaging system all was fine but there was a
fairly steep learning curve that might keep some new developers to the
platform at bay.

Anthony