Software Centre - Policy

Mario Kemper mario.kemper at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:07:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,

why is it not allowed to use the Software Centre when your app is already in the official repos?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ExtensionRepositoryPolicy

This is a clear disadvantage for all free software developers who are maintaining "older" projects. It is a pain to keep the packages up-to-date in the official repositories. In most cases you are lucky if you know the Debian (or Ubuntu) maintainer and he/she is willing to respond immediately. In my experience the distribution of a software package for Linux distributions is almost as difficult as writing the software itself.

We can use PPAs, of course. They are great - but it is still to difficult for some people to use (and discover) them. Ubuntu offers a great platform for app developers nowadays https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/dev/ - but why is it only available for new projects?

Regards
Mario Kemper