gnome desktop in 14.04 inaccessible?

Jeremy Lincicome w0jrl1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 18:00:36 UTC 2014

Tony,
The desktop that comes with ubuntu-gnome-desktop is called gnome-shell.
Gnome-shell doesn't have an applications menu like you're used to. When
you press alt f1, you are taken to an overview of the windows that you
have open. To see your list of applications after pressing alt f1, press
control alt tab until you hear dash. When the dash is open, you can use
your arrow keys to navigate your list of applications. If you press
control alt tab without pressing alt f1 first, you will find an item
called the top bar. The top bar replaces the old gnome-2 panels. You can
navigate the top bar with the tab key and the arrow keys. Some of the
menus on the top bar are sub-menus. To get out of a sub-menu and return
to the top bar, press escape. I hope this helps you to better navigate
your desktop. If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me,
either on the list or at my email address.

Jeremy