lite versions of ubuntu

B. Henry burt1iband at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:05:48 UTC 2014

You have enough with the system you mention to run normal ubuntu more or less well if you do not multitask much, but
Ubuntu gnome should be a bit lighter on memory usage, and do better with accessibility in some areas.
You will have to configure things a bit using any other desktop, but this can be done.
XFCE will not be 100% accessible, but you can use your apps fine, the main men's accessible, and there's a lot to like
about this desktop.
You can install Mate, XFCE and other desktops on a standard Ubuntu, or Ubuntu-gnome system, and switch between desktops on
the log-on scree.Vinux wiki for some inforemation on Mate.
It should work nicely on 14.04 as the 1.8 packages are available.
I've run Fluxbox, Mate, and Unity all on the same Ubuntu or Vinux installation, and Have XFCE, Mate and  Fluxbox
installed side by side here on Arch.
I had a pretty good experience with the 14.04 version of Ubuntu-gnome on this netbook which only has one gig of ram,and a
slower processor than the machine you are using.
--
B.H.

See my article on the