[Kde-accessibility] Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

Frederik Gladhorn frederik at gladhorn.de
Wed Jul 24 08:21:19 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Tuesday 23. July 2013 13.23.47 Alex Midence wrote:
> Hi, all,
>

> It looks like Ubuntu's Unity desktop will be switching to QT/QML in the near
> future.  It looks like they'll be using QT5.  Does anyone know the current
> state of accessibility for qt5 or QML?  We were all disappointed to find
> out that Unity 2d was discontinued in Ubuntu 12.04 and it is believed that
> Ubuntu 14.04 would continue it's wonderfully accessible legacy.  This was
> supposed to soothe our ruffled feathers when 12.10 and 13.04 came out with
> Unity 3d only which was not as accessible.  Well, now, I am curious to know
> if the timetable for that level of accessibility in a Ubuntu desktop will
> need to be pushed back even more in light of this development.  Please see
> link below:

Qt 5 contains all the accessibility code that was used for Qt 4, including the plugin qt-
at-spi which will then no longer be needed. Many things have also been improved
since we learned from finally making Qt 4 accessible.
All in all this means that the Qt 5 based Unity should be able to reach the level of the
old Unity and hopefully exceed it. Of course that's still up to the Unity developers and
probably a fix here or there in Qt, but generally I would expect things to look good.

Greetings
Frederik