[orca-list] Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:58:01 UTC 2013

Unity 2D was pulled from Ubuntu 12.10 and not Ubuntu 12.04. The plan to
focus accessibility efforts in Ubuntu on the LTS releases was meant to
provide the best accessibility solution with the resources available.
This was a transparent decision made with the best information at the
time. Obviously, desktop plans have changed since then. This was not a
statement or move just to placate blind Ubuntu users as your message
implies.

On 07/23/2013 01:23 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> It looks like Ubuntu’s Unity desktop will be switching to QT/QML in the
> near future.  It looks like they’ll be using QT5.  Does anyone know the
> current state of accessibility for qt5 or QML?  We were all disappointed
> to find out that Unity 2d was discontinued in Ubuntu 12.04 and it is
> believed that Ubuntu 14.04 would continue it’s wonderfully accessible
> legacy.  This was supposed to soothe our ruffled feathers when 12.10 and
> 13.04 came out with Unity 3d only which was not as accessible.  Well,
> now, I am curious to know if the timetable for that level of
> accessibility in a Ubuntu desktop will need to be pushed back even more
> in light of this development.  Please see link below:
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/unity-next-project-announced
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex M

Christopher (CJ)