ubuntu Live CD's and the Booting Process

Maurice McCarthy manselton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:42:41 UTC 2011

Have a look at nvramtool
$ aptitude show nvramtool

 nvramtool is a utility for reading/writing coreboot parameters in NVRAM/CMOS
 and displaying information from the so-called 'coreboot table'.
 .
 The coreboot table resides in low physical memory. It is created at
 boot time by coreboot, and contains various system information such as
 the type of mainboard in use. It specifies locations in the NVRAM/CMOS
 (nonvolatile RAM) where the coreboot parameters are stored.
 .
 This program is mostly intended for (x86-based) systems that use coreboot, but
 can also be used for non-coreboot system (e.g. for dumping all NVRAM bytes).
 .
 For information about coreboot, see http://www.coreboot.org/.
Homepage: http://www.coreboot.org/Nvramtool
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu

Good Luck
Maurice

On 31/03/2011, Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:
> 	As a computer user who happens to be blind, the CMOS
> setup application is always something to avoid. About the only
> real solution as far as I know is to have somebody who can see
> the screen help out. If necessary, I can talk them through the
> process but as far as I know, there is no way to access it from
> a running system. If there was a good way to do this, I wouldn't
> be asking these questions.
>
> 	I added two 512 MB modules of the appropriate memory to
> a Dell system which previously had only 256 MB for a total of
> 1.25 GB. The startup routine beeped at me on the next power up,
> but this is normal when the amount of memory changes.
>
> 	The new memory appears to work as I have an older Linux
> kernel installed on the system and the free -b command returns
> the expected value but there is still trouble.
>
> 	If one tried to run the ubuntu Live CD before the memory
> upgrade, the system croaked almost immediately as it ran out of
> memory. After the upgrade, it still fails exactly the same way.
> Should I be looking for some sort of pointer in the CMOS that
> might still be set to a memory limit of 256 MB? The rest of the
> system seems fine but still no Live CD boot.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> Systems Engineer
> OSU Information Technology Department Telecommunications Services Group

Best Wishes