ubuntu Live CD's and the Booting Process

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Mar 31 12:33:45 UTC 2011

	As a computer user who happens to be blind, the CMOS
setup application is always something to avoid. About the only
real solution as far as I know is to have somebody who can see
the screen help out. If necessary, I can talk them through the
process but as far as I know, there is no way to access it from
a running system. If there was a good way to do this, I wouldn't
be asking these questions.

	I added two 512 MB modules of the appropriate memory to
a Dell system which previously had only 256 MB for a total of
1.25 GB. The startup routine beeped at me on the next power up,
but this is normal when the amount of memory changes.

	The new memory appears to work as I have an older Linux
kernel installed on the system and the free -b command returns
the expected value but there is still trouble.

	If one tried to run the ubuntu Live CD before the memory
upgrade, the system croaked almost immediately as it ran out of
memory. After the upgrade, it still fails exactly the same way.
Should I be looking for some sort of pointer in the CMOS that
might still be set to a memory limit of 256 MB? The rest of the
system seems fine but still no Live CD boot.

Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer