Compiling Compiz from source

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:22:17 BST 2009

Sorry for this newbie package question.

I am trying to track down some Comiz issues on Ubuntu 9.04 x64 in
communicating with Orca.  I think I've installed the latest Compiz, as
I've added this to my sources.list:

## Proposed
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-proposed main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-proposed main
restricted universe multiverse

## Compiz
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu jaunty main

I've build Compiz from source using:

sudo apt-get build-dep compiz
apt-get source -b compiz

This creates a compiz-0.8.2 directory, and builds Compiz with no
errors, but lots of warnings.  I find it built the executable I'm
trying to debug in:

compiz-0.8.2/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk/window-decorator/gtk-window-decorator

However, it's only 5,900 bytes, while /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator is
over 90KB.  When I run it, it functions properly as a window decorator
for Compiz, except that the static switcher then does not work with
Orca's hack to work with the switcher.

I do not understand why my new gtk-window-decorator is different than
the one installed.  What should I do to get the most current version
for debugging?

Thanks,
Bill