Ubuntu 9.04 loss of sound on dist-upgrade & high-speed speech problem

luke Davis speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Sun Dec 20 20:22:32 GMT 2009

Hello

Continuation of my problems with 9.04 (Jaunty).

I've stopped using the talking install option, since it left me with high
speed speech, which I could not at the time resolve.

Using the accessibility profile:

If I install from the live CD, I get the high speed speech.

However, if I install from the live CD, and do a purge of pulseaudio
(which removes ubuntu-desktop), I get a fully functioning orca.

Now, interestingly, even doing that, there appears to be a pulse running
at some level, so not sure what's up with that.

The third option: I can install from the LiveCD without purging
pulseaudio, and get the highspeed speech.  If I then purge pulseaudio, I
have normal speed speech again.

A dist-upgrade still breaks everything (sound goes away completely),
somewhere shortly after the configuration of the Ekiga softphone takes
place.

It may be a laptop hardware oddity, but the startup (post-login) sound
clip sometimes skips a little.  It did it on the live CD about 70% of the
times I booted that CD (which I did about 20 times in the past few days).

Luke