Hardy and Alsa

Deborah Norling debee at jfcl.com
Sat May 17 00:36:28 BST 2008

I am following the directions in question number 4 of the Orca faq under the
heading titled:
>How do I get Orca to speak alongside other ALSA applications?

Apt-get says that alsa-oss is already installed and the newest version. This
is Hardy, installed from the live CD choosing mostly defaults. Orca worked
fine, but other media players were silent when orca was running.

I easily locate and edit the file
GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Espeak.server.

I change the third line, as the FAQ instructs so it now reads:
type="exe" location="/usr/bin/aoss /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver"

I save, shutdown safely and restart.

This completely breaks speech in Orca. However, I can run espeak on a
command line in gnome-terminal and get speech for example a simple ls |
espeak works fine.

Does this information in the FAQ no longer pertain to Hardy? I remember
reading somewhere that Hardy's sound drivers had drastically changed, but I
can't locate the information now.

--Debee