keyboard commands for orca and gnome in ubuntu

Herzog herzog at frontiernet.net
Wed Mar 12 00:25:47 GMT 2008

speech at turn on and Orca navigation have been recurrent questions.

ok, I haven't seen anyone answering these two questions so here is an
attempt.
Wil Herzog
Josh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a list of keyboard commands for orca and gnome? the ones that
> come with the latest ubuntu?
>
> Josh

here is a keystroke by keystroke of me turning on my Ubuntu machine now:
1. press the inspiron 1420 main button, top middle of keyboard.
Eventually it starts and It all comes up and says "welcome to orca".
This magic all came about by my updating to Ubuntu 7.10, and the various
Dell updates.
tab's toggle between "orca screen reader preferences and quit. i entered
on preferences.
 Then 5 right arrows read tabs/tags that get to key bindings. This is
the cheat-sheet that has some of the info one needs to navigate.
pressing the down arrow marches through all the keys and definitions..

2.  I am sighted, so achieve this I  must cheat and point my arrow to
"system" and press a left click.
I have not learned how to get there any other way.
 but then  a down arrow gets to "preferences", and a right arrow moves
to "Universal access" and a second right arrow gets to "
"Assistive Technology Preferences.
4 down arrows get stuff that reads, but the "acessible login"  is the
magic one that gets to an automatic login.

Then an enter brings up an "assistive technology preferences box"

end