getting the gnome-speech eSpeak driver to build? (was, eSpeak v1.18 released, for use with Orca/GnomeSpeech)

Joanmarie Diggs j-diggs at comcast.net
Sun Jan 14 18:21:07 GMT 2007

Hi Al.

I had to do something similar:  my /usr/lib/libespeak.so.1 pointed
to /usr/lib/libespeak.so.1.1.18, but /usr/lib/libespeak.so pointed
to /usr/lib/libespeak.so.1.1.15.  Once I changed that, I was able to
build gnome-speech (prior to that, make exits with an error).

While there are lots of voices listed both in test-speech and in Orca, I
seem to be limited to just one. I see them all
in /usr/share/espeak-data/voices.  How do I use them?

Take care.
Joanie