BrlTTY / orca

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Oct 6 23:38:16 BST 2006

Hi,

Veli-Pekka Tätilä, le Wed 04 Oct 2006 16:45:18 +0300, a écrit :
> I'm natively running Windows XP and Dolphin Supernova 7, which is a combined
> screen reader and magnifier. WIthin WIndows I have a pair of virtual serial
> ports com 1 and com 2 that are connected like a null-modem cable.
> Additionally, I'm running VmWare Server 1.01 which runs Ubuntu Dapper as a
> guest OS. There's a serial port in that Linux virtual machine which is
> connected to the host machine's com2 port. The last component of the puzzle
> is the terminal emulator TeraTerm which monitors the com 1 port, that being
> the other end of the virtual null modem cable.

Ah, ok. I can understand this much better now :)

> VmWare server also supports USB devices and if my WIndows reader is not
> using it, the LINux virtual machine can see my Braille display (Tieman
> Voyager). What I'd like to do would be to get brlTTY working

Doesn't this already work?  I mean, if you cut down your windows reader,
BrlTTY should be able to grab the device, and give you a reading of the
console, and once orca/gnopernicus run, get their reading of the gnome
session.

> I've already got Gnopernicus speaking but it says it cannot find the
> braillle display.

As gnopernicus probably said, the checklist is
- /etc/brlapi.key exists and is not empty.
- you have read right on /etc/brlapi.key
- brltty is running with API enabled.

Another possibility would be to run brltty natively inside windows, and
have gnopernicus connect to it through network.  A bit tricky, but not
that much (you just need to set the BRLAPI_HOSTNAME environment variable
to host:0 where you replace "host" by the name of your windows machine,
or its IP).

Samuel