Can universe be enabled from the command line?

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 31 09:46:14 BST 2006

Al Puzzuoli wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm really glad to see that Orca has made it into the list of available
> packages for Dapper; However, unless I'm missing something, the fact
> that it lives in universe presents yet another one of those
> accessibility paradoxes we always seem to be dealing with:
> Let us assume that as a blind user, I am presented with a machine
> running a fresh install of Dapper.  What's the easiest way to get Orca
> up and running?  It's great that it is available via apt-get, but of
> course, in order to get it, I would already have to have some form of
> access in order to uncomment universe.   This issue is alleviated
> somewhat by the fact that at present, Gnopernicus, Brltty, and
> OpenSsh-server are available from main; However ideally,an end user
> should have the ability to install their screen reader of choice with
> one or at most two, relatively simple  commands.

Hi Al,

I agree with the principle of what you are saying, that we should
eliminate these hurdles for the users. Orca is in universe because it is
still very much under development. The idea is that it will eventually
become the default screen reader in Gnome and will then also be in main
and available as a pre-installed boot option on the Live CD.

The best option now might be to install Gnopernicus first and then use
that to install Orca :)

  - Henrik

--
http://www.ubuntu.com